Wangen Twin Screw Pumps
Wangen Twin Screw Pump
The Wangen Twin Screw Pump is EHEDG compliant and is a competitively priced single pump, that can combine the roles of a rotary lobe pump for product and a centrifugal for CIP feed or return.
The pump is gentle on the product and imparts much less shear than rotary lobe pumps. It is perfect for use in the food and drinks industry and has proved itself on products such as juice concentrate, mayonnaise, butter and spreads, peanut butter, chocolate, fondant cream, soups and sauces, biotech cell cultures, pharmaceutical creams and toothpaste.
For products such as soups where solids are suspended in a low viscosity media, the Twin Screw really excels. Customers have found that their traditional choice of a circumferential piston pump wears rapidly and is difficult to clean, whereas the twin screw performs effortlessly, without damage to the product or wear to the pump and cleaning times are much reduced.
Flowrates can be varied easily, from slow speeds for product transfer up to 4000 rpm for CIP feed and scavenge (comparable to the lobe’s 700 or 800 rpm max).
It is easily cleaned – crucial in the food industry, being described by various users and consultants as “the cleanest pump we have ever seen”.
Other benefits of the twin screw include:
- Single pump is space-saving
- very low shear to product
- low NSPH (Nett Positive Suction Head) requirement. The product feeds into the pump without any change of direction, whereas in a lobe pump the product is split and turned through 90 degrees before reaching the pressure side
- up to 30 mm solids handling
- self priming and capable of handling up to 60% air / liquid mix
- optional VarioTwin screw feeder
- dry run compatible due to contact-free operation of the feed screws and a flushed/barrier mechanical seal
- optional heating jacket
Managing Director of HpE Process Ltd Andy Allman said: “The twin screw is gradually gaining acceptance, particularly in the soft drinks industry where it is so good at moving the juice concentrates”.
HpE Wangen VarioTwin pump
The VarioTwin is the ideal add-on feeder unit to the NG pump. Its role is to move thicker consistency products that don’t flow under their own weight into a twin-screw pump. Such products include dough, peanut butter, fruit (including frozen), meat-based products, vegetables, sugar mixtures such as liquorice and chemicals.
The higher viscosity products are carried gently from the hopper, through a feed screw and in to the main pump.
Its main features are:
- A ‘coreless screw’ for the gentle treatment of products
- Fully hygienic and open design which enables easy and efficient cleaning
- Cantilevered support system of the screw for maximum hygiene with minimal residues
- Space-saving due to compact design
- Drive is controlled independently of pump speed for optimum efficiency and reduced shear
- Low energy consumption due to energy-efficient screw geometry
- Ability to feed shear-sensitive materials
- Materials are FDA-compliant, product-contacting parts in 1.4571/1.4404